Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Matthew says that ‘at dawn on the first day of the week [after Jesus died], Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went [just] to look at the tomb’ (28:1). Let’s let their desire to be with the Lord call us into worship:

* * * *

MAGDALENE (anxious): Is that you, Mary?

OTHER MARY (relieved. comforting.): Mary.

M: I…I just wanted to be with him.

O: I just wanted to see the tomb.

M: It’s hard not seeing him every…every morning.

O: They’re the hardest. He was always up before us. And there was a
freshness to him in the morning. You knew he had been with
Father.

M: Mary, I don’t…I don’t know if I can go on like this. I live to be
with him. He’s…he’s everything to me. I have nothing else to live
for. He’s all…

O (embracing, comforting): Mary.

* * * *

What can we say to our sister in a time of such deep loss? Let’s read together what the angel told the two Mary’s:

Do not be afraid
I know that you are looking for Jesus,
who was crucified.
He is not here;
he has risen,
just as he said.
Come and see the place where he lay.
Then go quickly and tell his disciples:
'He has risen from the dead
and is going ahead of you into Galilee.
There you will see him.

No comments: